I'm gathering together here some of my chamber larp scripts and other things from recent years. Do let me know if you run any of these – it'd be great to hear how they went!
Read about, and download, larps!
- Keep It in the Family (2015) – a tense chamber larp for 6 participants
- Women on the Verge… / These Are the Days of Our Lives (2015) – a female chamber larp for 4–6 participants
- Real Men (with Kevin Burns, 2015) – a male chamber larp for 6–8 participants
- The Life of Mermaids (with Jouni Karppinen, Mira Suovanen, and Olga Rudak, 2016) – a damp chamber larp for 4–6 participants
- ‘Heroes’ (2016) – a heroic freeform / chamber larp for 4–5 participants
- The Best Medicine (2017) – a hilarious chamber larp for 5–8 participants
- The Drinklings (with Anna-Karin Linder, 2018) – a bibulous chamber larp for 4–8 participants
- Experimental Findings (2018) – a scientific outdoor larp for 5 participants
- Fake News (2018) – a spinning chamber larp for 2–6 participants
- Get Stuck In! (2018) – a footballing microlarp for 2 participants
- Fortune's Always Hiding (2018) – another footballing microlarp for 2 participants
- Life Lessons (2018) -- an artistic chamber larp for 5–12 participants
- Five for Silver (2018) – a repetitive chamber larp for 12 participants
- Primal Soup (2018) – a protozoan hot-tub larp for 4–8 participants
- Trauma Ward (2019) – a supine chamber larp for 4 participants
- Passing (2016–2019) – a prejudiced microlarp for 3–6 participants
- After Dark (2020) – an online larp for 4–8 participants
Some of them have got lacunae where references or more detailed explanations are yet to be completed – but they're all basically runnable from these scripts.
Still to come
Others that might appear here in due course:
- Freakshow (with Traci Whitehead, 2015)
- It's Just a Stage (with Karolina Soltys, 2016)
- The Baby Club (with David Owen and Jamie Harper, 2016)
- Asking For It (with Laura Wood, 2017)
- Life of a House (with Ruth Trenery-Leach and Will Osmond, 2017)
- The Ghosts of London (2017)
- Still Waters (2019)
- Dirty Laundry (with Holger Pick, 2019)
- The Outsiders (with Cat Tobin, 2013) already has its own website, as does;
- None but the Brave (with Traci Whitehead, 2014), as does;
- On Location (with Karolina Soltys, Kate Bennett, Laura Wood, Michael Such, and Will Osmond, 2017; and with Elina Gouliou, Laura Wood, and Will Osmond, 2019) which is not a chamber larp but is still pretty cool.
- Likewise The Clinic (with José Fabregat, Laura Wood, and Mirella Machancoses Lopez, scheduled for 2021)
- And in general Larps on Location (with Laura Wood)
Not written by Mo
Also here, although not written by me (but all the more brilliant for that: it's by Alisa Matavilava, Yauheniya Siadova, and Nastassia Sinitsyna):
- Bring Your Own Bottle (2015)
And not here, and not written by me either – it's by Malcolm Campbell – but inspired by one of my larps:
- 21st Century Fake News (2019)
Writing for others
Organizing and editing stuff
I'm an organizer of The Game Kitchen, and of The Smoke: London's International Larp Festival, and helped with Just a Little Lovin' 2019 UK. I'm an editor at Nordic Larp, and have contributed editing work to several KP-books.
As well as writing larps, I also write about larps. Thank you to Lorraine Kipling for suggesting how to organize these!
About political (loosely) matters
- 'Orientalism and exoticism', on the Ginger Goat blog, May 2014
- 'Larp and Prejudice: Expressing, Erasing, Exploring, and the Fun Tax', in the 2016 Solmukohta companion book
- 'Walking in the Darkness: handling race in Lovecraftesque', in Lovecraftesque
- 'What Does it Mean When Sex is Sexy?', with Monica Hjort Traxl, on nordiclarp.org, February 2017
- 'History, Herstory, and Theirstory: Representation of Gender and Class in Larps with a Historical Setting', in the 2017 Knutepunkt companion book and also on nordiclarp.org, February 2017
About design techniques etc
- 'Workshop Practice, in Practice', in the 2015 Knudepunkt companion book and also on nordiclarp.org, April 2016
- 'Real Men – Defining Gender Identities', with Kevin Burns, in the 2016 Nordic Larp Yearbook and also on nordiclarp.org, November 2016
- Two articles and contributed to a third in the 2019 Knudepunkt companion book, which isn't online yet
- An article with Monica Hjort Traxl in the 2020 Solmukohta companion book, which also isn't online yet
- 'High on Larp: Alcohol at Larp Events', on nordiclarp.org, March 2017
- 'The Blue Ribbon Collective', on nordiclarp.org, March 2017
Reviews of activity / explainers
- 'Pillage the Vikings!', with Ole Peder Giæver, on nordiclarp.org, July 2014
- 'Nordic-style larp in the UK', on nordiclarp.org, July 2014
- 'What's the big deal about Nordic larp?', on larping.org, October 2014
- 'Opening the Chamber of Secrets – an introduction to chamber larp', on larping.org, May 2015 [Evidently larping.org has ditched some of its old content: thank you, Wayback Machine.]
- 'Non-nominated Fastaval Scenarios', on the Plan B blog, April 2016
- 'On Location: Playing, with Expectations', with Laura Wood, at the 2018 Nordic Larp Talks (here's the powerpoint)
- Me being part of a panel of 'Larpers of Colo(u)r', at Knutpunkt 2018
- 'Fleshing the Skeleton – How to empower players to make characters their own', at the 2019 Nordic Larp Talks (here's the powerpoint)
- 'About The Smoke', at LarpCon 2019
- Games! All sorts of different ones. mostly holds reviews and stray thoughts and ideas about games. In recent years it's pretty much been about larp.
Other game-related bits
- I wrote a scenario for Lovecraftesque, called 'Darkness Visible', which you can get here.
- And one for Cthulhu Dark, called 'Good as a Feast', which I'm not sure if you can actually get hold of... it was released as a pdf with the Kickstarter.
- And a setting for Flotsam: Adrift Amongst the Stars, called 'The Big Hot', which you can get here.
- I've done copy-editing and proofreading for a load of games, including Amazing Tales and the Itras by Menagerie and Bite Marks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. This means that you can share it and adapt it as you wish, without charge and without needing to ask permission. But, you may not use it in commercial work; you must apply this same licence to anything that you create with it; and you must credit Mo Holkar as the author.